WEDI Westminster Economic Development Initiative
Westminster's principal mission program is the Westminster Economic Development Initiative (WEDI). This 501(C)3 non-profit organization is focused on improving the lives of residents on the West Side.
The organization's work is measured brick by brick, block by block, student by student, business by business—all toward rebuilding the community and revitalizing the city:
- ENERGY After-School Tutoring Program: Providing one-on-one tutoring and a nutritious snack twice per week for West Side children (many of whom are from Puerto Rico, Somalia, Iraq, and other regions).
- Ferguson Avenue: Home ownership opportunities through partnerships with Habitat for Humanity and others.
- Small Business Mentoring: Advice and planning assistance to West Side residents considering starting a business.
- Micro Funding: Financial Assistance and micro loans through Community Loan Fund and partnerships with federal credit unions and area banks.
WEDI has mentored a number of local small businesses through our own volunteers as well as through collaborative efforts with other active West Side groups:
Westminster has a long history of commitment to the city of Buffalo:
- Since the inception in 1894 of the refugee resettlement facility Westminster House, church members have given of their time and talents to serve those in need.
- Westminster also participates in the broad mission program of the Presbyterian Church (USA) financially and through active participation. Church members have provided local disaster relief as well as dedicated service through an annual Gulf Coast Mission Trip.
In addition, the church supports a variety of local agencies:
Westminster provides meeting space for various groups:
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- Pathways to Peace (Anger Management Group)
Please consider lending a hand. WEDI needs tutors for the ENERGY after-school program, mentors to guide startup businesses, volunteers to rebuild West Side Habitat homes, and donors who make it all possible. To learn more, please contact us:
Bonnie Smith, Economic Development Director email@example.com
ENERGY After-School Tutoring
George Pulinthitta, ENERGY Director, 716-884-9437, ext. 309 firstname.lastname@example.org
Housing & Neighborhood Development
Matt Kaufmann, Housing Director: kauffan.@gmail.com
Make a donation
Betsy Mitchell, WEDI Financial Manager: email@example.com